Friday, July 12, 2013

More Experiments with Water Mixable Oils

Today I tried another thought I had -- what would happen if I put a layer of white water mixable oil paint down first and then mixed colors into it directly onto the paper? After all, white is the most commonly added color to oil paints, so I could save a lot of mixing. Well, not a good idea! There was no way to get a real dark (that one dark was done without the white layer) and no way to control the color I wanted. Still, it's fun to experiment, even if the results aren't that great. Here's the painting:


In addition to color problems, the two figures are too similar in shape and they are too similar in size, so the painting is not interesting. It was an experiment, so what the heck, I decided to scrape off the woman's head and start over:


Maybe I improved it a bit:


And to report the results of prior experiments -- the masking tape that I used to tape the oil paper to the board came off fine after the paint dried to the touch. Freezing the left over paint, as recommended by Bernard Fallon, worked just fine, too. After defrosting, the paint was like new. Some experiments work!




1 comment:

  1. Nice to see the process and the progress, I really like the final lady. I know someone who sits like that and I immediately thought of Susan.
    I always like to see what you are up to, and how you use color and shadow.
    Thanks for sharing techniques and discoveries.

    ReplyDelete