Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Painting Fun with Grandchildren

It is fun to paint with grandchildren, but mine paint fast and furiously. I end up with a LOT of “abstract” paintings by them. For even more fun, I take some of these and try to make landscapes out of them, utilizing mostly negative painting.
One of my favorite childhood games was “Squiggles.” My sister and I would each draw a random squiggle on a piece of paper, trade papers, and try to make something out of each other’s squiggle. Of course, we tried to make our squiggles as complex and impossible as we could. That was the challenge, and some of my grandchildren’s paintings are pretty challenging.
Here are some photos of this activity. Ryan paints with both hands. I did not take photos of their “underpaintings,” but here are the landscapes I created out of their paintings.

Two Fisted Painter

Autumn Sunset

Mauve Afternoon


No comments:

Post a Comment