Sunday, March 4, 2018

Workshop with Rise Parberry

Yesterday was a very enjoyable one day workshop taught by Rise Parberry, whose web site is http://www.riseparberryart.com.  She was teaching her method for creating nonobjective paintings, and it was VERY interesting indeed. She taught us many ways of doing things to create effects and for solving problems, and I wish I had taken better notes!

We started the morning making under paintings her way, on 300 pound rough Arches bright-white paper, half sheet. This involved soaking the paper, painting on wide streaks of pre-mixed granulating colors, and using squirt bottles to move the paint around. We also lifted out white shapes. She said it can take her six hours to do this part of a painting. We didn't have that much time, so we rushed a bit and dried our paintings with hair dryers. Here's my under painting:



After a late lunch, Rise showed us several neat things we could do to complete our under paintings, and again, I wish I had taken better notes. There wasn't enough time for me to paint, so I finished mine this morning at home, creating shapes and using negative painting. It was very fun, so thanks to an excellent teacher! I also think I like it. And here it is:



This morning I also worked on my sixth desk painting, and I succeeded in getting more abstract. It's all watercolor on a half sheet of 140 pound cold pressed Arches. I kind of like it, too, and here it is:

Word/k Desk II







No comments:

Post a Comment