Friday, January 20, 2012

Art Is Important

A major lesson I take from my art teachers is not something they actually teach, but rather their attitude towards art. They study it, they take it seriously, they create it day after day. They care deeply about art. As a painter full of self doubts, struggling with not feeling entitled to paint, plagued with guilt about people I am neglecting and resources I am spending on painting, my teachers’ belief in the importance and meaningfulness of art is a constant inspiration. 
Philosophers have pointed out that art can serve as “religion for atheists” by creating a shared meaning and world view. This idea inspires me, too, as does something that Frank Webb wrote, “Through your painting, human life is intensified and handed on to others.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment